A Jumpstart on the Future

From the very start, my parents encouraged me to save half of my earnings. It first felt like a chore to "give" my money to the bank, but I eventually realized that I was actually paying myself. When I was about 12, my parents urged me to start investing small amounts, such as $150 to $200, in the stocks of my choice. My eyes were wide with the prospect of riches, but I didn't really know how to go about finding promising companies and researching them.


In the summer of 1998, I attended CompuFest, an annual conference held by the National Association of Investors Corporation. In their youth program, I learned how to research a company, to evaluate the criteria that make a good investment, such as good management, a relatively low P/E ratio, good growth rate and solid prospects for future growth. I bought my first stock, in the Applebee's restaurant chain, when I was about 13. My approach to finding stocks has changed over the years.

These days I often visit investing websites to get ideas -- but I never buy a stock without first researching its history and management thoroughly. I expect to make money in the stock market if I invest for the long term. I'm currently saving for college -- and eventually a house, once I'm out of college. I think it's essential to learn how to invest at a young age, to have a jumpstart on the future.

2 comments:

A so prompt action! As we cannot know that what will happen tomorrow, and what will we need for the upcoming future, be ready for it is always awarded. It's proactive manner. Scrupulously adhering to this, our life is not always in urgency.

Wow! This story makes me feel credible because it was such a great experience that i have been seeking for long. As far as, i know some investors grew up in poor family but not totally. Sometime, we don't appreciate about this about that so it is quite different from what we expected that it would make more benefits. Please do what you wish and please take risk if you have potential on playing stock or bond, you have to do researches as much as possible.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites