The Rewards of saving

When I was about 14, I decided that I would be proactive with money, so I got a part-time job at a local deli. With my first paycheck, I realized that I would have to work awfully hard to make very little money. My supervisor had been making just above minimum wage for 20 years, and I knew I didn't want to spend the rest of my life working to death. Around the same time, my godparents took me to an investment workshop.
Immediately, my eyes were opened to the power of compound growth in investing. I knew that this was a way to financial freedom. I left the workshop determined to make my money work for me instead of just me working for money.

Honoring what my mother had taught me, to share whatever I had, I donated a portion of my paychecks to raise money for breast cancer, and saved everything else to build up a large enough nest egg to open a brokerage account. Too excited to wait, I began reading everything I could about investing. With most of my life savings (which wasn't very much money), I invested in DuPont, AT&T, Caterpillar, and International Paper. The pride in being a shareholder in a company, along with watching my stocks increase in value, fueled my desire to learn more. I went to three more investment workshops with my godparents and browsed books at the library.

I began with $4,000 in my account and have added about $2,000 since then. My portfolio is now worth roughly $12,000, five years later, having grown about 18% per year, on average. Some of my favorite holdings are Procter & Gamble and two biotechnology companies that I know a fair amount about because they're based near me.

In the years since then, I have experienced many moments of gratitude for discovering investing so early in my life. I'm in college now, and plan to go onto medical school and become a family practice physician. And I know that, thanks to investing, my road will be much easier. Not only have I taken a proactive step towards improving my long-term financial future, but I am confident that I will also be able to generously support the causes I believe in with more ease than I otherwise would have imagined. -- Tacy Holliday, 19

1 comments:

wow, the author is smart, I love a sentence on 'do not work for money, but let money work for us'. Investing money can be increased in value, rather than saving without doing anything, It is kind of wast. However, money investment can be unsafe. It might be loss or profit gaining.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites