A dripping teen

I became interested in investing when I got my first job as a waiter. I had money that I'd saved and wanted to buy stocks like my parents. When I turned 16, I opened an account with my mom at a local brokerage. I then bought my first two stocks: $200 worth of General Electric and $200 worth of Abbott Labs, a pharmaceutical company. I picked these companies using information I gathered from books and online discussion boards.


After buying my first stocks, I gained confidence and wanted to keep investing. It was if I had been on a swaying bridge and had finally set foot on solid ground. I continued to learn more and kept putting money in my brokerage account. I then bought stock in several other well-known companies, including AT&T, Cisco Systems, Intel, Pfizer, and WorldCom. As I learned more, I sold my first shares of GE and Abbott Labs, reinvesting the money in a "Drip" (dividend reinvestment plan) with Pfizer. Dripping is my favorite way to invest, because it's so inexpensive. I currently Drip both Pfizer and Duke Energy.

I pick my stocks using the principles of Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch. I like companies that steadily increase earnings and have high profit margins, with room to grow. I also like to see little or no debt. I prefer companies whose products are used by everyone, products without which the world would be different. Can you imagine the world without medicine and computers?

I've had many good stock picks and a few bad ones. My best has been my Pfizer Drip, which has grown steadily. Another good one has been AT&T. I invested $380 into AT&T, and it is now worth $510. My worst pick has been Cisco Systems, which I bought at $50 per share and watched go all the way down to $15. You have to take the bad with the good, and I am not worried. After all -- I'm only 17.

2 comments:

Even though he is a young boy, he is a creative and risk taking boy. If it could, I would like to do as this teen. Learning is just theory. If it is possible, participating in the reality may be better. One thing that I want to admire this teen is his ability to conduct analysis whether or not he should by a certain company's stock. Not surprisingly, when stock price is up or down, stockholders are also gain or loss. Let's see this boy. He makes more profit than makes a loss. Therefore, what I learn from this is I must take risk as possible.

He is very smart and risk that I have ever heard. He was a waiter but he could save in account in brokerage. Furthermore, he was very young, but strong confident. Well, it is very completed different if compared to me. I also used to a waiter, however after I finished this job, I got nothing. I got a lesson. We can be successful if we risk it.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites